Friday, December 12, 2014

Meet some locals

It might be cool outside but there's still plenty of critters around. I have a couple of items of wooden furniture that are borer-ridden so I should be letting a couple of borer bombs off. Instead, I've opted to remove the adult beetles as they hatch out and put them outside! I think they are two-toothed borer, Ambeodontis tristis (Fabricus) - will have to put a photo up on NatureWatch for a positive identification.


I spotted this chappie (I think it's a crab spider) on the rhubarb but it wasn't until I downloaded the photos that I noticed that there were two critters in the photo...

Spider with lots of eyes - look closely to see his friend to the left


Another spider crawled along the table as I did my Christmas mail...


...it had such a large abdomen that it struggled to lift it at times; what pretty patterning though.

My last critter is a Shield Bug (Family Pentatomidae) sitting on a twig. The first photos are of his/her rear end but I was amused to see a 'face' appear when I downloaded the photos.





I think I've just about caught up with the backlog so my next blog will be about my new job :)