Monday, May 19, 2014

Photo time - fungi

Autumn is fungi and berry time - and it was the berries that made me spot a new weed, a tall, fruiting Cotoneaster a metre away from the boundary track that I've walked most days for the last 18 months! It was a good excuse to spend the rest of the afternoon zig-zagging my way through the half hectare of bush and taking in the wonders that temperate rainforest offers.

Cotoneaster is a native of Asia but it is fast becoming a problem-weed here now that the birds have a taste for the berries. When I was on the weeds team, we found dense thickets near houses and enough Cotoneaster seedlings in native bush to suggest that it likes Stewart Island as much as I do. I only found the one plant on my section and will keep an eagle eye out for it from now on. I also pulled out more Darwin's barberry - I swear it grows 10 new seedlings for every one I remove.

I found treasure during my search - Autumn means fungi time!!

What a cutie

Brown fungi amongst the liverwort

Impossibly long stems


A family of ?Mycena interrupta - blue-eyed helmets with their
distinctive basal cup base???




Side view


Weraroa virescens - spindle pouch
There are heaps of these through the bush

How about a green one for a change?

Another greenie close by

A family of puffballs