Saturday, February 15, 2014

Coming home

Going off-island is exciting, especially when you are going to a family wedding, followed by a road-trip visiting family and friends. But coming home is something extra-special and I'm still pinching myself to check that I'm not dreaming! I've exchanged my jeans for fleece trousers, walking shoes for gumboots and I've been sitting out on the deck listening to the birds rather than the traffic - just perfect!

I've covered a few kilometres since my last post; 7 plane trips, 2 ferry rides, over 1,000km of road travel and several trips on foot or pushbike. I've gained a beautiful daughter and met her lovely family, and visited several friends/family who have moved recently to different houses; so much easier now to picture them in their new homes and lifestyles.

It will take a few days to sort out photos and the garden might take a while to tame but I'll share my photos from today before heading off to sleep in my own bed.

Mt Taranaki at 9am this morning
Flying in to Rakiura has some great views, even when cloudy.
Foveaux Strait in the foreground, Paterson Inlet at the top
Pilot Sam from Stewart Island Flights bringing me home

An overgrown silverbeet patch and the rhubarb has gone crazy

The mesclun has gone to seed but doesn't it look pretty!

My mystery plant is broccoli

Inside the shade house - the tomatoes even have flowers!!

Drunken Woman fringed lettuce - tastes and looks good