Friday, December 20, 2013

An afternoon at Golden Bay

Woohoo! I'm on holiday for the next 2½ weeks and with Christmas mail finished, the grass cut and the windows cleaned, I'll have time to put up another 7 blogs in the next month to reach my target of 170 by my 3rd anniversary.

The aliens visited on 3 December with these lovely lenticular clouds gliding in looking like enormous motherships. My 'Pocket Cloud Book' (opens in new window) states that "altocumulus lenticularis cloud forms when a flowing layer of moist air is uplifted by the slope of an intervening hill or mountain. They often emerge and dissipate in unexpected ways, according to the movement of the air currents, sometimes appearing UFO-shaped."



A couple of weeks ago I spent a couple of hours down at Golden Bay with my friend's dog, Mac. It was low tide and, while Mac was occupied with digging holes, I took the opportunity to take some photos of the flora.

Inaka - Dracophyllum longifolium


Inaka flower

 
Seaweed gardens at Golden Bay

Looking across to Ulva Island from Golden Bay

Maybe Crassula moschata - a small native succulent herb

Mac laughing at my antics :)

What a handsome doggie

New leaves on Muttonbird scrub - Brachyglottis rotundifolia


Seaweed - another one for NatureWatch to identify
The underside of the seaweed above