Sunday, December 16, 2012

Countdown to holidays!

I'm on target with my Christmas mail, I've scrubcut the long grass and got a heap more firewood stacked in the woodshed so won't feel guilty at all for putting my feet up from Friday lunchtime onwards! I have 2½ weeks off work and looking forward to slow days, sunny weather and catching up on reading and blogging. Of course, this all depends on whether the end of the world is happening on Friday - it will be such a bummer if I finish work and don't get to enjoy my hols :).

I'm miles behind with my blog; I've been taking lots of photos but haven't had the time to wrap some words around them. I'll have to get back to more regular blogging so that I don't forget what I've been up to.

The DOC rec team have the job of emptying the toilets from the huts, the Lee Bay road end and some staff houses. They pump the sludge into a tank that is then helicoptered to the sewage pump station where it is manoeuvred into place and emptied. They had two helicopters working this year and I stopped to watch them - it's certainly not a glamorous job but is very essential and I thank you for it.



We've had some welcome sunshine lately after a Spring of fast-moving fronts bringing cold temperatures and a fair amount of rain. Last Sunday it was fine and breezy and I'm wondering if the ancient Mayans were spying on us from their spaceship...

The UFOs are coming!
I'm doing some volunteer work cleaning rat traps at the Dancing Star Foundation (DSF) - it's about an hour's walk from here and I get to see some quirky sights like these...

An ornate gate cemented in place but with no fence either side

A loo-vely sight at Grim's place
The DSF property stretches between Horseshoe and Lee Bays and has a 2km predator-restricted fence with an array of rat traps both inside and outside the fence. There is a bit of clambering down the cliffs, easy to do when it's fine and sunny but I might think twice in strong winds. I was rewarded yesterday with being metres away from 3 shags as they watched me wire-brush and oil the traps around their perching place.





And another reward when I climb back up is this view of the clear waters of Horseshoe Bay...