Saturday, August 4, 2012

Back in Technology Land

I'm sitting in my nice warm lounge with 3 bars of internet signal - and no windows or doors open! It's all thanks to a Cellutronics AY12 yagi aerial kit that was installed yesterday by Jed, along with a Freeview satellite dish and receiver. Not only do I have fast internet but I can watch tv with a decent picture again - and just in time to watch the rowers get 2 gold medals, YAY!

Jed checking the instructions

Installing the satellite dish

Finished assembly - the yagi aerial is on the right pointing toward
the Telecom cellphone tower

Info on the yagi aerial kit from Cellutronics
The aerial has boosted a non-existent internet signal to 3 bars and I can play YouTube videos without having to wait for ages. The only glitch is that I can only have one device plugged in at a time - so either my mobile phone or the internet. Swapping between them entails turning devices off when plugging in the aerial cable so it's not perfect but at least it's a solution.

Rakiura is known for its 'glowing skies' and we had a great example on 29 July with this sunrise...


Today was another stunning day with a light frost to start with. There's something about winter light here that doesn't have the harshness of summer; Halfmoon Bay looked especially pretty as I walked over to my rat lines.