Sunday, June 24, 2012

Shortest day

Isn't Winter a great time for reading! I've overindulged lately so my apologies for not blogging as often. I was hoping to get a few blogs up tonight but am having a wee tussle with the technology and have lost my drafts into a black hole. Fingers crossed that this one works!

The shortest day has been and gone; great to know that we are over the 'hump' and that the days will be lengthening. Statistics for 21 June down here were:
Sunrise: 8:31:45am
Sunset: 5:04:32pm
Minimum temperature: 2.8 deg C at 7:59am
Maximum temperature: 11.1 deg C at 2:10pm

The Stewart Island Department of Conservation Field Centre has had its roof replaced over the last fortnight. Although it wasn't always easy putting up with the banging and scraping, our lot was nowhere near as arduous as the roofers. Well done guys for surviving the cold and frosty weather.



Working shorter hours has given me time to go for some longer walks and there's always good opportunities for photos regardless of the weather. It's great having my Sony DSC-TX10 waterproof camera, not only is it small enough to pop in my pocket but it doesn't matter if a shower breezes through whilst I'm using it.

Looking across to Halfmoon Bay from Ringaringa Golf Course

NZ Stick Insect - Acanthoxyla spp

Close-up of this amazing critter

I've had some big frosts here and, if I hang my washing out on the porch, it's as stiff as a board in the morning! I'll leave you with a few pics of the iced-over mud puddles on my driveway which didn't thaw until a couple of days later!