Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Another anniversary

Another milestone yesterday; 40 years since I got my first fulltime job. There has been a lot of water under the bridge since that day and I'm very grateful for the skills that I have learned from all my jobs. I'd love it if I could experience all jobs in the world; surely we'd be a lot more tolerant if we knew what others go through in their work lives?

We had a day without rain on Monday after 20 days of showers. Great to have the water tanks topped up again and mud puddles on the drive. A big surprise was seeing three different-sized kiwi footprints one morning - looks like Mr & Mrs Kiwi have a baby.

The prints were clearer in the morning but I was on the way to work
and didn't have time to go back for the camera
January wasn't quite as summery as December. It was fine and warm for the first week but cooled down considerably afterwards. Rain fell on 24 of the 31 days although I only got wet once thanks to the Weather Gods who are very kind to me. Here are the stats from the http://obanweather.southlandnz.com/ website:


I had a visitor yesterday when I got home from work. What do you reckon this is:




Its body length was between 15-20mm and it had feathery antennae and had wings that opened out as it fluttered down.

I haven't got on top of the blackberry and it's now flowering and starting to set fruit. Maybe I'll have it under control next year but in the meantime I'll enjoy watching the fruit ripen.


Have a fun holiday weekend!