Thursday, December 15, 2011

A growing garden

So much for frequent postings! I see over two weeks has gone since my last offering so I will have to dredge my memory to play catch-up!

The walk-in greenhouse from TradeMe arrived at the end of November and on the first day of summer the good weather, plus the day off work, gave me the kick in the pants to spend the day in the garden. The greenhouse was relatively easy to put together up to waist height but the 2D diagram didn't really show how the two different ends went but I got there in the end.


Framework complete

Complete with plastic cover
Of course, to be able to put the greenhouse up, I first had to move the veges I had growing there. The brown canvas bags hold about 40 litres of potting mix and I can drag them fairly easily. I was surprised to find fungi growing on the sides and when I scraped it off, there was a strong smell of mushroom. Have checked a few books and websites and think it may be the edible 'ear fungus' - would be good to have that confirmed before I did the taste test!!!

Is this the edible ear fungus??
The pink aqua shield is working successfully as the silverbeet seedlings are growing well although the shield has now flopped over somewhat. It definitely creates a warm environment and worth testing on some other seedlings.

Aqua Shield - the surround is filled with water
The mussel buoys filled with potting mix are also a success - they're not as easy to move as the bags but still do the job nicely. I added some Bokashi compost to a couple of the bags and I've now got a great crop of pumpkin seedlings. I've been warned that they don't ripen here but I have enough seedlings to experiment and hopefully get a couple of pumpkins for winter soup.

Woohoo! I can grow vegetables here!
It's been a lot cooler today after some very hot and sunny days; it was lovely to get rain overnight after more than two weeks of dry weather - I'll be able to see the kiwi tracks in my mud puddles again!