Friday, November 4, 2011

Friendly visitors

The weather today is cycling through hail, rain and bright sunshine but the severe weather warning issued on Wednesday seems to have bypassed Oban - or maybe it went through when I was fast asleep! You can have four seasons in less than half an hour here but I'm keeping dry and snug inside with the fire going.

My friend, Jen, left on the first plane this morning after six days visiting and it's now very quiet at home. We've talked up a storm, walked lots and sat outside in the dark listening for kiwi and deer. It's been great to show her my new home and hope it's not too long before she comes back so we can do all those things that we ran out of time to do.

Last Sunday Jen and I went on the 2½ hour Stewart Island Experience Paterson Inlet Cruise:

Paterson Inlet Cruise route
see http://www.stewartislandexperience.co.nz/newzealand/patersoninletcruises/ - this was a new experience for me as well and we both had a ball. Great viewing as we sailed slowly out of Halfmoon Bay and round the coast into Paterson Inlet. Free tea and coffee, an interesting commentary as we stopped at places of interest (including Kaipipi and Price's Inlet) and then an hour's guided tour on Ulva Island. I've been to Ulva several times but having a guide opens your eyes to so many new discoveries.
Ulva Guide, Bevan, pointing out plants of interest

Ulva Island spider orchids
My camera only had a few minutes of battery left so I'll have to do the cruise again and get more photos!! It was a great way to get a good perspective of Paterson Inlet and hear the history of the old boatbuilders and whaling stations.

We stayed in the village after the cruise so that Jen could experience the famous Stewart Island Pub Quiz. We paired up with Rowena and Bruce, and Di and Jim but our six brains weren't good enough for the winners Eh What's Up (DOC guys) or Raylene's team (Ghoulish Delights) which got second. The theme was Hallowe'en and I think we did remarkably well to get any points at all!

Monday was rat line day and I had a very cruisy time watching Jen do all the work! We took some rope with us and tied that to some trees on the steepest section so I now have something to hold on to when the track is wet and slippery. No rats in my traps but five traps (some with rat fur) were sprung so perhaps a weka had pulled any caught ones out.

I chose to sleep in my spare bed in the garage whilst Jen was here and was so glad that I did. The garage isn't lined, hence no soundproofing to muffle kiwi calls! I heard a female kiwi call twice on 30 October (4.33am and 5.26am) and heard the dawn chorus in all its glory. Early Wednesday morning (4.45am, 2 November) I was wakened by a 'growly purr' sound and thinking it was a possum, I jumped out of bed, grabbed a torch, opened the door and shone the torch around. I saw a dark shape move behind the large pots and then caught another movement over by the house steps. I was totally floored when I saw a kiwi standing there, not a possum at all!! I immediately turned the torch to a red light and watched the kiwi walk purposefully down the path towards the drive. Woohoo! My first sighting of two kiwi on my section!

First kiwi sighting over by house steps, 4.45am 2 November 2011
Grinning from ear to ear, I hopped back into bed and a few minutes later heard the male and female duet by the garage doors with about 8 bars synchronised with each other's call. Double magic! Unfortunately, Jen slept right through it and we didn't hear them call again whilst she was here, despite leaving windows ajar.

Jen enjoys the bush and birds as much as I do. I think the card she brought down for me sums up our friendship perfectly...


...thanks Jen for taking the time to visit; it was a pleasure having you to stay.

Back to work next week with a mixture of barberry and VC duties. There's a community Snack and Yack next Saturday (barbeque and stalls to welcome new residents etc) and increasing numbers of tourists signal an end to the 'quiet' off-season.