Sunday, June 12, 2011

Winter's here!

What a change in our weather overnight. We had a lovely sunny week with heavy frosts and thick ice on my drive puddles. I did my fourth listening survey last night with clear and super-calm weather, then woke up this morning to strong winds and almost horizontal rain! I'm glad I did my rat line check yesterday in the sunshine and I'm not feeling guilty at all as I spend today inside. The volcanic ash produced an unusual sunset last night with a crimson glow that deepened in colour over 45 minutes or so.

My weeding job had some surprises in store last Wednesday. We moved out of high density barberry into more established bush and it was encouraging to walk for a couple of hours without finding any weeds. On Wednesday we were criss-crossing a large swampy area and I managed to take a bath in the deepest, smelliest part when the sapling I was holding on to snapped and I fell backwards into the bog. Thanks to my team for not laughing too loudly and for putting up with the smell - although I was relegated to the ute tray to come home and get some spare clothes.

Nothing much happening on the alterations front as I'm still waiting for the last of the gib stop visits before I can start painting. The electrician removed the old ceiling lights and it looks so much better with the two new ones in place.

There's been some stunning views during the week when I haven't had my camera with me - kaka silhoetted against the sunrise; fog hovering low over Halfmoon Bay; sunny beaches and white sands from our viewpoint up high on the ridge; mossy/ferny patches in beautiful bush; starry, starry nights and close-ups of curious birds checking us out as we work. Hard work for sure, but compensated by so many sights that you don't get in an office! I am so lucky to have this opportunity.