Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Golden Bay Walk

There's many short walks in Oban and I will have pleasure bringing them all to you on my blog. The Department of Conservation have an informative brochure that can be downloaded here:
The Golden Bay track follows the coastline so lots of steps but superb views over Paterson Inlet where there's a break in the vegetation. Last Thursday I walked the track from the Deep Bay end; the weather was mild with showers creating ever-changing views across the inlet as the rain clouds rolled through.

Google Maps - Deep Bay to Golden Bay Track marked in red
The track is very well maintained and has rat and possum traps throughout which are checked by SIRCET so birdlife is thriving. I was checked out by piwakawaka (fantail) and ngirungiru (tomtit), as well as serenaded by a tui singing his heart out a few metres away from me. One of these days I'll count the number of steps - it's a good workout for calf muscles and could easily be incorporated in a 8-10km loop walk from my home. If I did it every couple of days then I'll be fit in no time!

Up...



...and down!

Ulva Island in middle distance, Iona Island to right

Shades of grey