Saturday, January 29, 2011

One job done!


Outpost woodshed BY303WD (3.6m x 1.9m)
How do you like my new woodshed and nicely stacked firewood? Jarrod the builder did a great job of interpreting the kitset plans and finished the shed yesterday - it's one of the pre-cut Outpost woodsheds (see their website at http://www.outpostbuildings.co.nz/) and went up easily for someone who knows what they're doing. Most of it is held together with Tek screws and seeing how I don't have a powerful battery drill or a brace and bit, I would have been scratching my head from the outset! I did get to nail down some of the flooring and put in a partition this morning so that I can store the wheelbarrow, shovel etc and hang any wet gear to dry. I've now got 4 trailerloads of firewood stacked - a mixture of manuka, rimu and kamahi. I'll look at hanging a tarpaulin down if the rain seems to be getting to it; weather forecast is for a band of heavy rain on Monday morning so it will be a good test. The open side is facing north so gets plenty of sun. Outpost were fantastic to deal with - good prices, great customer service and product, very helpful and topped off by a thank you gift couriered to me of a penknife and chocolate bars! Can thoroughly recommend them if you're looking for a shed, chook house or outbuilding.

The garage is now looking less cluttered - I can now see some flooring and tomorrow's job is to assemble the shelving for the garage so that I have somewhere to put the stuff that I unpack. I'll also set up my big computer and check that everything is working fine. It will be lovely to have the ability to print again after six months without one at home - my letters will be a lot easier to read compared to my handwriting.

Skype audio works reasonably well from here so good to know I can still chat to people without using my mobile all the time. Jarrod and Rex the plumber came up to look at my bathroom plans on Thursday - they think they can just squeeze a shower enclosure in but I need to doublecheck finished heights. The floor plan that was lodged with the Southland District Council at time of building in incorrect for both length and width so just as well I waited until I was down here.

Have a wonderful week :)