Friday, September 4, 2015

The orchids are stirring...

I've taken advantage of the wetter weather to explore the bush and road side banks and am thrilled to see some orchids pushing their way through the soil. There's always plenty of interesting things to see but I miss them usually when I walk too quickly so it's been great to get back into slow walking again. Of course, the tyre retaining wall doesn't get done so I'd better keep my work/play in balance by working extra hard this weekend!

Thelymitra (sun orchids) sprouting forth


These small spider orchids are popping out on a bank just down the road
A dark-coloured grub on Dibaeis baeomyces, a lichenised fungi

Dibaeis baeomyces on clay bank

A yellow-brown helmet variety

Green rosette of ???
The tyre wall is progressing slowly - just when I think I've filled a tyre to capacity I discover more air bubbles. The fill is pretty wet too so I guess holes will appear as it dries out too. I think I'll have sore hands and wrists for some time yet!

29 August: third row laid out

Looking good

Pretty straight - more by accident than design!