Sunday, January 18, 2015

4th anniversary

Tomorrow is the 4th anniversary of my arrival here; how time flies when you're having fun! It was 19 January and I arrived on the 12 noon ferry and walked to my new home to start a new life that was very different to city living. I've learned so many things and had my eyes opened to the natural world around me - and still I'm discovering new things that have missed previous scrutiny.

Whilst I'm writing this blog I'm listening to the panel discussion on The Nature Principle after keynote speaker, Richard Louv's address. He suggests 'that reconnecting children and adults with nature will garner better psychological, physical and spiritual outcomes and a healthier society'. It has certainly worked for me!

Family nature clubs are growing in popularity in the US - one of which Richard said has over 1500 families. A regular outdoor outing where young and old alike can be aware of their surroundings and feel the rain on their face or the wind in their hair; where awareness of other species stimulates curiosity and a caring attitude; we are all connected but why have we chosen to ignore it?

This is also my 250th blog and I thank you for following my journey by reading my blog. I often feel that one person's message is futile and won't stop the destruction of habitat or our disconnection from the natural world but your comments and encouragement give me renewed hope that we can include Mother Nature in our lives and help us to feel part of, and responsible for, our wonderful environment.

After a few weeks of warmer weather, my garden has started to bear fruit. Here's some pics taken this morning before the rain came...

Currants and rhubarb are growing well
A good crop of intense-tasting blackcurrants

White currants
NZ cranberry (aka Chilean guava), Ugni molinae, flowers - they'll be ready
for picking around April. My only fear is that they may become a weed
here along with Chilean gunnera, Chilean Flame Creeper and everything
else prefaced by 'Chilean'
Inside the shade house - the potatoes at the back are ready to bandicoot
I recently repotted the apple tree (left) which grew
from a pip that had sprouted inside the apple!

A thriving wineberry that is growing out of the compost bin - I know it
needs cutting out but I feel mean to condemn it

I have native fuchsia seedlings by the dozen around the berry patch - they
need to be transferred somewhere else before they get too big