Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Another stunning morning

Red skies in the morning often mean rain later in the day and today was no exception. Neon colours and unusual hues, along with a female/male kiwi duet at 5.05am, were a great way to start another day on this extra-special island - and to help me forget that those pesky deer had broken down my fence and got at my potatoes and rhubarb again!

The morning sky on my walk to work at 7.40am

Almost sunrise over Halfmoon Bay

A seagull swooped down to check out what I was doing

Would love to see this yacht under full sail
There's an autumnal chill to the early mornings and evenings; I lit the fire on Sunday and again tonight so nearing the time when it's the first thing I do when I get home. The temperature climbs quickly once the sun has risen so need thermals on my way to work and t-shirts during the day!

My PouchProducts shopping bags arrived swiftly after ordering (see previous blog) and I'm thrilled with them. They're well designed, NZ-made with most material sourced locally - and fit in well with my aim to reduce, reuse and recycle.

New PouchProducts bags on the right (the blue/red one is unpacked
from its pouch, the sky blue one is still in its pouch. Mesh bags
from PouchProducts are for fruit/veges. Old bags on the left.

The new mesh bags are also great for sprouting seeds
Freight was a very reasonable $4 and there's a wide range of colours; New Zealanders use 22 million plastic bags a week, most of which get used for less than 10 minutes and end up in landfill. Big thumbs up and great customer service too.